It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas Town!
Dresden Shines and volunteers across town have brought together many community groups and organizations to transform the town into the most festive place around.
When was Christmas Town founded?
Dresden’s recent history is filled with holiday activities including the Kinsmen Santa Claus Parade, the Sidestreets Youth Centre Breakfast with Santa, the Dresden Christmas Night Market, and a whole list of other events taking place each November and December.
But in 2020 when Dresden Shines was formed, so many more activities were created by groups and volunteers. In 2021, Dresden Shines gave the town the nickname of ‘Christmas Town’ and it stuck!
How Does Dresden Transform into Christmas Town?
Everyone involved in the transformation is a volunteer! The work starts in the spring and summer when we start to think about what activities to bring back and about how we can grow and add more holiday spirit to the town.
Here’s a short list of all the jobs that volunteers take on to make Christmas Town happen:
- Ordering lights and decorations
- Working with sponsors
- Unpacking decorations and bringing them out of storage
- Testing lights
- Working with community groups to create a list of what they plan to do this year
- Posting on social media
- Taking photos and videos throughout the planning and execution process
- Coordinating volunteers for events and decorating days
- Adding decorations to the downtown
- Distributing lights and decorations to community groups and volunteers
- Designing and creating decorations
- Putting up lights downtown
- Organizing the Neighbourhood Cup contest
- Coming up with themes for neighbourhood decorations
- Planning events to happen throughout the holiday season in downtown Christmas Town
When Should I Come to Christmas Town?
Any time between November 13th and December 31st. We have lots of reasons to come back multiple times throughout the holiday season!
Each night, travel throughout downtown Dresden to see businesses and neighbourhoods lit up with Christmas lights and decorations as part of the Illumination Tour!
Make sure to stop by for many events and activities that the whole family can enjoy:
- Merry & Bright Thursday Nights
- Dresden Christmas Night Market
- Christmas Ghost Walk
- Kids activities in the park
- Illumination Tour
For a full list of dates and time for these events and activities, visit our Calendar
Make sure to follow us on social media so you don’t miss out on all the great things happening in Christmas Town!