Survey 128, Block a, Lot 82 This lot at the South -West corner of Metcalfe West
and St George St. was purchased in 1853 by Black Abolitionist James Charity.
James and John Burkett purchased the land in 1865 and George Pulver erected
a building in 1874. We cannot be certain this is the same building as pictured below.
A picture of the 1904 flood shows a brick structure here but it is not clear enough to be
certain this is the same building.
Known grocery businesses were operated first by Sarah and Martha Burkett and
then the Wicks family in early 1900’s. Arthur’s son Glen Wicks operated it until
at least the late 50’s.
The building in 1947 is housing both the
Wicks grocery store and the Dresden News.
Two apartments were on the second story.
When the grocery store ceased operation in 1959, Pegg’s Val-U House operated
from this location until they moved farther south before 1968 flood but the
move proved to not be to safer ground. They soon moved from that location to downtown.
With the grocery store and Pegg’s Val-U House gone, the Dresden News occupied the
As yet the date for demolition has not been established but there were not any businesses
here shortly after the1968 flood. In 1979 the lot was purchased by Dresden Motors for
a used car lot.
In the late 70’s and in the 80’s, the Town of Dresden and the St. Clair Conservation
Authority embarked on an ambitious Floodplain Acquisition Programme where
lands prone to flooding were purchased and maintenance eventually taken over by
the Horticultural Society and the Town of Dresden.
In 1984 the Catherine McVean Chapter IODE planted this garden
in the once gravel lot.